Applications for Chairmanships of key Intercollegiate Committees
20 Jan 2020
The presidents of the four surgical Royal Colleges of Great Britain and Ireland invite applications from surgeons with significant relevant experience for the Chairmanships of two key Intercollegiate Committees as follows:
- The Intercollegiate Committee for Basic Surgical Examinations (ICBSE)
- The Joint Committee on Surgical Training (JCST)
The current Chairs demit office during 2020.
The process will be by application, selection and interview by the presidents. The selection process will be led by the President of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Professor Michael Griffin.
- The ICBSE governs the operation, regulation and development of the MRCS and DO-HNS examinations. Professor Frank Smith demits office in August 2020. The incoming Chair will take up office at an important time with the outcome of the reviews of the MRCS and DO-HNS examinations format and processes due to be implemented in 2020 and 2021. Important quality assurance initiatives relating to the exams will need to be progressed during the successful applicant’s tenure in addition to building on the research portfolio, which has raised the ICBSE profile in recent times. Equality and diversity issues in assessment will also remain high on the agenda for the forthcoming term.
- The JCST works to enhance the quality of surgical training. With 10 Specialty Advisory Committees (SACs), 6 Training Interface Groups (TIGs) and a Core Surgical Training Advisory Committee (CSTAC), it is the parent body for the Intercollegiate Surgical Curriculum Programme (ISCP), enrols and monitors trainees and makes recommendations to the relevant regulator when they are ready for certification at the end of training. On the GMC’s behalf, it also evaluates applications for the Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration (CESR). Members work closely with Postgraduate Deaneries, Health Education England (HEE) Local Offices and Schools of Surgery (or equivalent) to support the quality management of training programmes. Mr Gareth Griffiths will demit office at the end of 2020, but a prospective appointment will begin in summer 2020 to allow for a period of handover. The new Chair will be responsible for ensuring the JCST’s strategic aims for 2018-23 are being met, and for reviewing and updating the next iteration for 2023-27.
Applicants for the two posts must be Fellows in good standing of one of the four surgical Royal Colleges of Great Britain and Ireland, and be in clinical consultant practice in the National Health Service (UK)/Public Health Service (Ireland).
The application form, job description and person specification are available from:
- ICBSE: Mr Gregory Ayre, ICBSE Manager
Tel: 0207 869 6286/Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- JCST: Miss Susana Cipriano, Head of JCST
Tel: 020 7869 6252 /Email: email@example.com
Closing date: The closing date for applications for the two posts is Monday 2 March 2020.
Interviews: Interviews for the two posts will be held at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh as follows:1) ICBSE Chair: Tuesday 21 April 2020 (afternoon)
2) JCST Chair: Wednesday 22 April 2020 (morning)